Wednesday, July 31, 2013

School Simplified: Organizing CC Weekly Ideas


This post is part of a series on how I organize our homeschool. Enjoy!

When I taught kindergarten (ages and ages ago, it seems, now), I had certain activities that I liked to do with my class at certain times of the year. Pumpkin activities in fall, snowman activities in winter...the special things that students would remember. I kept these in what is called a 'tickler file': a file system broken up into files labeled with names of the months of the year. It became my routine to check my file at the beginning of the month so that I could access these 'fun activities' to give our classroom life more dimension. And fun...ALWAYS the fun! :o)

 For each of the three cycles of CC, I have set up similar files where I can access files according to week. So, as I've printed out activities online, through CCConnected, I've hole-punched them and filed them away for future use. That way, they never get out of hand and I can find them when I need them.


NOTE: I like to use plastic dividers to keep weeks separate. I bought 3 packs of 8 dividers and they fit perfectly for the 24 week cycle. Also, check your local thrift store for binders- I found these 3 blue sturdy binders at Goodwill for .99 each. That's WAY cheaper than they would have cost at a regular office supply store. It pays to look every now and then!

I have seen others hang tickler files in a file box. This is a great solution too! This is my file box I take to information meetings now, but will double as our community 'mailbox' when our year begins. Right now it has parent information packets and catalogs in it, but I will eventually put hanging folders labeled by family name in it. It will sit in a designated spot for mamas to put birthday party invites, notes, etc. for friends in our community. Plus, at the end of the day, I can take it home to re-fill with community information, invoices, field trip details, etc. for families to be toted back next week. :o)

4 comments :

  1. It always catches me by surprise that I cannot come up with a simple way to organize ideas, and yet when I finally discover that "way", it's usually....simple. Love creating a "tickler file" for cycle 2 this year, so I can have a few fun activities ready in advance. We're at Goodwill regularly too, so picking up the binder will be no problem.
    Blessings,
    Toni
    http://www.wisewomenlovejesus.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toni,
    I just got frustrated because I would find great ideas that I had tucked away two weeks after I really could have used them. This way, they're at my fingertips. Organizational simplicity is a beautiful thing- sometimes when I try to make things complicated, I just give up and then don't maintain the 'systems' that I worked hard to create! So frustrating and a tough lesson for THIS Type-A to learn! LOL

    PS- I love your blog! Congrats on having two memory masters your first year in CC...That's an amazing achievement for your kiddos and for their mama! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...