This year, I plan to share with you the curriculum plans as well as the fun activities that our family does to enrich our study of Cycle 2. Aside from Math and Language Arts, here are the plans I've laid for weeks 4-6 thus far. I hope you find some fun projects to do with your family, too! Remember: this is 3 WEEKS worth of memory work enrichment and we may not even do it all; PLEASE don't think we're doing this all in 1 week! I have 3 children who all have different learning modalities, so I'm using a variety of reviews in order to get the information to 'stick'! There may be weeks where we revert to 'the stick in the sand' and simplicity, but for now this is what is in the works.
As you read through, I am certain you will see consistencies throughout the subjects: we are big fans of notebooking, oral review, and C3's online tutorials. If our weeks get hectic, I will revert to doing only those 3 things as review..and that's TOTALLY okay! Also, I have one student who is starting 5th, one who is starting 2nd, and a 4 year old Abecedarian. Obviously, I will not expect my 4 year old to do the same work as my 10 year old. What you see here is primarily for my 2 older boys, with Libby joining in as she can on her own level.
Cycle 2, Weeks 4-6
- Bible: We will recite Ephesians 6:4-6 aloud different ways using our CC review dice: jumping up and down, growling like a monster, etc. We will also continue to review Ephesians 6:1-3.
- Math: We will be watching C3's Math tutorial online as well as utilizing COAH's skip-counting mazes for 7s, 8s, 9s, 10s, 11s, and 12s. We will also use Worksheet Fun's skip-counting worksheets as well as count aloud outside by writing the numbers on the sidewalk with chalk and jumping from number to number as we count.
- English Grammar: We will watch C3's Grammar tutorial online as well as use Brandy's (HAHAW) pronoun chart and pronoun file folder review game.
- History: We will continue listening to Story of the World: Volume 2 on CD, complete a notebooking page for each of our history sentences, and watch C3's History tutorial online.
- Timeline: We will watch C3's timeline tutorial online, line up our cards on the floor in the correct order, and use our mini-flashcards for games. We will also use timeline stickers to stick our timeline in the correct order at the end of the 3 week period.
- Geography: We will continue Brandy's Continental Blob-Mapping packet to practice drawing the world, do Geography stories (found on C3- username: lmcgreger; search 'Geography Stories' under Cycle 2), trace our laminated maps with dry-erase markers, and watch C3's Geography tutorial online.
- Science: We will create a notebooking page for each of our science sentences, and watch C3's Science tutorial online.
- Latin: We'll review Latin conjugations with Sola Gratia Mom's Latin file folder game , refer to our charts from Classical Academic Press, and watch C3's Latin tutorial online.
- Fine Arts: We will review our drawing techniques and watch C3's Fine Arts tutorial online.
Additional Enrichment Activities
Once a week, we will take our memory work review time and use it for a larger family project. Here are the enrichment activities I've got lined up for the second 3 weeks of CC Cycle 2:
Week 4: We will do a Water Cycle demonstration as well as listen to 'The Blue Danube Waltz' as we draw the European Rivers. We're also still finishing up our knights lapbooks, so hopefully we will put the finishing touches on them this week. Also, we're hoping to enjoy a Water Cycle lunch and watch 'The Magic Schoolbus: Wet All Over". :o)
Week 6: We're attending a local Renaissance Festival and observing jousting, falconry, and more. We'll also be doing a pollution experiment and testing to see if we can undo pollution. For fun, we're completing a Treasure Chest on Leonardo da Vinci and watching this video on 'why the Mona Lisa is so famous':
For an idea of when I implement these activities, see my CC Memory Work Activity Schedule printable. Also, for more online ideas, see my posts on Cycle 2 Resources for Week 4, 5, and 6.